Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

4 Easy Steps to De-seed a Pomegranate

Today, I purchased a fresh pomegranate at the grocery store. I have enjoyed drinking pomegranate juice, however, I haven't ever attempted to de-seed one, myself.
I had always heard they were difficult and messy to open and remove the seeds. That, in the past, had me stray away from the beautiful round globes of goodness.
Not today! I couldn't resist and I'm glad I didn't.
I did some research and watched a few "experts" show three different ways to remove the seeds and after contemplation, I chose the method below.

I don't know why I chose this one...I guess it looked the easiest, fewer steps, and not messy.
Note: Step#4 did spray a bit of juice in the bowl.

Step 1:
Use a knife and lightly score (cut) the outer skin at the equator of the Pomegranate.
Don't cut too deep, just barely enough to make a cut that you can easily see.


Step 2:

Using both hands, grasp the pom. Using your thumbs, gently pull where the pom is cut. Rotate the pom as you pull. You will feel and hear the pom release. It is a bit tough, but keep pulling apart, like opening an egg.
When it breaks open, continue to pull into two halves.


Step 3:

Next, hold one of the halves, cut side down, and using a wooden spoon, hit the outer skin of the pom. The seed will fall into the bowl.
Turn over and check to see if most have come out. I actually pulled apart more and then hit the backside until they all the seeds released. This took about 20 seconds.
Repeat with other half.

Step 4:

Eat the seeds. Store in covered container, or blend in a smoothie!



No comments:

Post a Comment