Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Face-Lift an Ugly Box with Material

I have a small apartment and we have a large television. To a man, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. However, a woman wants all the "Guy stuff" to look appealing to the the eyes if it has to be in the main room of the home.
The electronics console table is supported with large casters and there are three black canvass boxes, below for storage. However, ,most of this entire unit is ugly. I could, at least, decorate these hideous boxes that don't really fit with our decor in the room.
I headed off to the local hobby store and bought some colorful material, modge podge, upholstery tacks and recovered the fronts of these boxes. It took me about 2 hours, but they turned out really nice.
Also, I plan on covering the backs of these boxes with a Christmas material to flip around for the Christmas season. Dual duty. Nice!

Supplies:
Freezer Paper
Scissors
Mod Podge
Small sponge brush
hot glue gun & hot glue sticks
Hefty wire cutters
pliers


The Process:

  1. I measured and cut some freezer paper to make a template of the size. Next, I measured and cut the material, about a half inch larger on all sides to fold over and make a nice, non-raveling edge.





  2. Next, I used a sponge brush and brushed a thick layer of Mod Podge over the canvass box front.


  3. I took the material and placed it over the the glued box. I folded under the edges to make them look crisp, and to prevent the material from unraveling.
  4. Then, I too the upholstery tacks, which were too long for my box, and used some hefty wire cutters to cut the tips down to very short. I wanted the tacks to stick through the material and slightly into the box.
      
  5. I used hot glue to tack down the edges of the material to the box.This allowed me to continue the process without waiting hours for the Mod Podge to dry.
  6. I placed a small dot of hot glue where I was going to place a tack. I pressed the tack onto the hot glue, then I used the pliers to squeeze the tack into the material and box.

  7. I repeated the process with all three boxes. I did not take the picture of all three boxes, but I will post one, maybe later. :D
Total time to complete all three boxes and clean up: 2 hours.





No comments:

Post a Comment