Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, September 22, 2014

Easy $1 Store Fall Crafts - Complete in 1 Day!

I really enjoy crafting but I don't have a lot of time, so lengthy, multi-day crafts definitely do not fit into my schedule. I still want to have some time to play with crafts (who doesn't?). So, I went to the dollar store to see if I could find some cheap items to craft with a Fall theme.
2014, Photo is copyrighted to D.L. Baker
As I walked the aisles I couldn't imagine anything...so I pulled out my phone and perused Pinterest for some quick ideas.
This is what I came up with. The three different crafts I did in about 3 hours...in between the mountain loads of laundry.

Candy Corn Candle Bowls:

  1. Round bowls -two of them - $1 each
  2. Two bags of candy corn
  3. L.E.D. tealights (fake candles)

Directions:
  1. Open the bags of candy and pour the candy corn equally into each bowl.
  2. Add the L.E.D candlelights (DO NOT USE REAL CANDLES! I cannot fathom having to put this disclaimer on here, but there are just some really unenlightened people out there.)



Lollipop Ghosts
2014, Photo copyrighted to D. L. Baker
  1. Single bag of wrapped Tootsie Roll Lollipops.
  2. Equivalent number of paper towels (or coffee filters, large & white) I found that they are thinner so the lollipop wrappers shown through. I opted for the select-a-size paper towels, instead).
  3. Cheap orange or black ribbon
  4. Black marker (I used a Sharpie marker pen)
Directions:
  1. Wrap each lollipop with a paper towel.
  2. Gather and secure each paper towel under the lollipop with about 5 inches of ribbon and tie in a bow. I curled the ends. (Don't tie in a knot in the ribbon; it is too difficult to remove it when ready to eat the lollipop).
  3. Using a black marker, I drew on the eyes and mouth.
  4. If you have plastic wiggle eyes, you can glue them on with a dab of glue.
  5. Place the lollipop ghosts in a large bowl.




Autumn Fall Leaves Bowl
2014, Photo is copyrighted to D.L. Baker
  1. Two bags of loose fall leaves (or a fall leaves garland)
  2. Thick and tacky craft glue (I had some Mod Podge leftover from a previous craft project)
  3. Sponge paint brush
  4. Big round or any shape plastic bowl. I used a large bowl for my project, but any size bowl will work.
  5. Plastic wrap
Directions:
  1. Open the bags of loose fake fall leaves.
  2. Place some plastic wrap around the outside of the bowl. Be sure to cover the bowl tightly and thoroughly.
  3. Cover your work area with some parchment paper or waxed paper...something that will not stick to the wet glue. I used parchment paper.
  4. Pour out some craft glue into a paper cup or throw-away bowl. 
  5. Flip the bowl upside down on the parchment paper.
  6. Using the sponge brush lightly coat the the outside of the plastic covered bowl.
  7. Now brush some glue on each leaf and place on the bowl. START on the very bottom of the bowl. Be sure to overlap each leaf and make sure there are not any gaps. 
  8. Lightly coat the outside of each leaf with glue. 
  9. Continue until the bowl is completely covered.
  10. I let my leaves go way over the top edge and curl out onto the parchment paper. You don't have to do that, but the end result is that the bowl has a fluted edge.
  11. DO NOT TURN THE BOWL OVER. Let it completely dry. This takes about 1 hour.
  12. After the first coat of glue is dry, use the sponge brush and glue to add another layer of glue to the outside of the leaves.
  13. Let this dry for 2 hours.
  14. Once the bowl is completely dry, very gently turn the bowl over and pull the plastic wrap to release the leaf bowl from the underside plastic bowl. This takes a bit of pulling. I also used my finger and pushed it between the plastic and the inner bowl. Be gentle. It will come loose.
  15. Now, remove the plastic wrap from the inside of the leaf bowl. Again, go slow and be gentle.
  16. Let your new bowl set to finish curing.
  17. Only store non-edible food items in the bowl. It is for decoration only! (Again, I cannot fathom the idea that some people are so unenlightened that I have to add this disclaimer to the instructions).

No comments:

Post a Comment