Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Blueberry Crumble Bars

I've been on a blueberries kick, lately. Blueberry waffles, blueberry pancakes, blueberry muffins, blueberry scones...and now Blueberry Crumble Bars. I think this is my favorite new way to eat blueberries.
I was dashing through the grocery store on Sunday afternoon, not my favorite time to shop, I spied the blueberries sitting front and center as I entered. This is the season for them, so the store was running a sale. Usually, when buying blueberries I go for the frozen kind, but these looked so delicious I grabbed the biggest container and placed them in my basket. It was all I could do not to eat them in the store.
So, I came home and looked for a different recipe to add the beautiful, plump blueberries, and I found a recipe for pie and the other for crumble bars. The crumble is simple to make because I don't have to roll out a pie crust.
I would definitely make this to take to a church function or party.


Here is what you'll need for this recipe:

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups sugar (divided 3/4 cup & 3/4 cup)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups quick oats
1 ½ sticks of cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
⅛ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Tablespoons of cornstarch
Zest from the lemon
1 lemon, juiced

Directions:


Preheat oven to 375°F.
Grease a 9 x 13 metal baking pan,(I used a glass dish).

Put 3/4 cup of sugar, flour, oats, cold butter, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and lemon zest in the food processor and process until crumbly, like rough sand. DO NOT make a dough ball.

Scoop out about 1 ½ cups to use as the topping, set aside.

Press remaining crumb mixture into the greased metal pan and set aside. I use the bottom of a drinking glass to press the crumble down firmly.

On the stove top, in a medium-sized saucepan, over medium-high heat, add in the blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice. Stir well to coat the blueberries. Let this cook for about 5 minutes until it begins to thicken like jam.

Pour the hot blueberries over the crust and spread it out evenly.

Sprinkle the remaining crumble over the top of the blueberries.

Bake at 375°F for 35- 40 minutes until the topping is golden brown.

Remove and let this cool for an hour before serving.

Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.

Reheat cold servings about 20 seconds in a microwave.

Garnish with whipped cream.


ENJOY this DELICIOUS DESSERT!

No comments:

Post a Comment