Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Dr. Pepper Chocolate Pudding Walnut Cake


Dr. Pepper Chocolate Walnut Cake
So, I wanted to make a Coca-Cola Cake today but, wouldn't you know it, I didn't have all the necessary ingredients. As fate would have it, I also do not have my truck, and I am stuck at home. (Bunny Trail: My husband's car is in the shop, and since I work from home my husband was able to drive my truck to his job.)

My taste buds are not going to be satisfied if I don't make this cake. Plus, I hate going to the grocery store for two items because I will come out with a basket full of extra, impulse purchases. I must try to make this cake with substitutions, if possible. So, here is what I came up with:

No Coca-Cola, only Diet Coke or a regular Dr. Pepper-- use Dr. Pepper.
No marshmallows but I do have a box of instant chocolate pudding mix. Use pudding mix.
No buttermilk. I do have heavy whipping cream and buttermilk powder. Use the heavy whipping cream and add in the buttermilk powder.
I don't have enough regular cocoa powder for the cake and icing. I do have "Special Dark Chocolate" cocoa powder, so I use that for the icing.
Pfft, I don't have pecans, but I do have walnuts. Use walnuts.

By the way, this cake tastes beyond delicious! I'm saving this recipe...but I probably won't have these same ingredients on hand the next time. Bummer!

Ready for this? Here is my FAUX Coca-Cola Cake, a.k.a. 

Dr. Pepper Chocolate Pudding Walnut Cake


2 Cups sugar
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Dr. Pepper (instead of the Coca-Cola)
1 box of instant chocolate pudding mix (instead of the 1 ½ cups small marshmallows)
½ cup butter 
½ cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons cocoa (regular cocoa for the cake)
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 tablespoons of buttermilk powder ( Instead of the ½ Cup buttermilk)
2 eggs
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting Ingredients:

  • ½ Cup butter
  • 3 Tablespoons Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa(Instead of regular cocoa powder)
  • 6 Dr. Pepper (Instead of Coca-Cola)
  • 1 box (16-ounces) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Cup chopped Walnuts (Instead of pecans)
NOTE: This recipe calls for a standard 9x13" baking pan. However, I used a 1/2 sheet pan for a thinner cake that will feed more guests.

DIRECTIONS WITH THE SUBSTITUTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350Fdegrees.
  2. In a bowl, sift the flour, sugar and chocolate pudding mix.
  3. In a saucepan, mix the butter, oil, cocoa, and Dr. Pepper.
  4. Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients; blend well.
  5. Dissolve and stir well the baking soda in the whipping cream and buttermilk powder just before adding to batter along with eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well.
  6. Pour into a well-greased 1/2 sheet pan and bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted and removed is dry...not gooey wet. 
  7. Remove from oven, prepare, and frost immediately.

Coca-Cola Cake Frosting

  • 1/2 cup butter 
  • 3 tablespoons "Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa
  • 6 tablespoons of Dr. Pepper

  1. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, bring to a boil and pour over confectioners' sugar, blending well. 
  2. Add vanilla extract and pecans. 
  3. Spread over hot cake. 
  4. When the cake cools (if you can wait that long), cut into squares and serve.
Dr. Pepper Chocolate Pudding Walnut Cake






No comments:

Post a Comment