Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Crafty Wall Art from Toilet Paper Roll Centers

This is a first for me. Wall art from toilet paper cardboard centers? Yep, I saved about a dozen cardboard centers from finished toilet paper rolls, cut them into 1/4" rings, mashed them into a cat eye shape and glued them at the points.
I used paper clips to hold them while the glue dried.

Next, I bought some fake stone looking spray paint and sprayed the completed piece with about four coats of spray. (Dried between coats and removed the paperclips prior to spraying). 
The only thing I see as a mistake is adding too much spray at once. If you spray too much paint at one time, the cardboard gets very soggy and will lose it's shape. When it dried I was able to reshape the whole piece. I really do like the texture and I am pleased with the look.

I recommend that you apply light coats of spray, DRY completely between coats, and apply multiple LIGHT coats of spray until you reach the desired coverage.

Also, experiment with different shapes. I got caught up in the gluing and forgot to attach them at different points. I should have laid them out in a design first, then glued.  I will definitely do this again and try experimenting with different design shapes and colors.

Have fun crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment