Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Easy, No Bake Strawberry Napoleon

The other night I was watching television and a food commercial reminded me of a French Bakery where I really enjoy eating. Of course I was thinking about the flakey, creamy and decadent Strawberry Napoleon. My mind began to plot and plan on how I could make one.

Sadly, to make a true French Strawberry Napoleon is rather complicated and requires a huge amount of effort and time. It is made with layers of airy-flakey cookies, light Bavarian cream, fresh strawberries, and finally a solid sugary topping...AHH! Who has the time? As well, who has all those fancy ingredients?

Okay, let me get creative...hmm...Got it! I rummaged in my pantry looking for something to use as a light and flat cookie. I found a box of graham crackers. Next, I had whipping cream in the fridge left over from a previous recipe, strawberry jam, (Who doesn't have some sort of fruit jam or preserves in their fridge?), and some fresh strawberries. I literally whipped this up in a mere 5 minutes. I was really pleased with the outcome.  I had just made an easy, no bake, poor man's, strawberry Napoleon. Let me say, it was not a French masterpiece, but it was surprisingly good! Really good!

Ingredients for 1 Strawberry Napoleon:

  • 3 graham cracker squares
  • 1/4 cup fresh heavy whipping cream (*Substitution: plain or strawberry yogurt)
  • 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar
  • 3 fresh strawberries - rinse and pat dry with paper towel
  • 3 teaspoons of strawberry jam
Directions:
  1. In a medium mixing bowl, add the 1/4 cup whipping cream and single teaspoon of powdered sugar. 
  2. Using a whisk, stir rapidly until stiff; similar to store bought fake topping. (If you have a hand mixer or stand mixer - use it with the wire whisk attachment).
    NOTE: Canned whipped cream can be used or pre-made fake non-dairy topping. OR you could use yogurt - plain, vanilla or strawberry).
  3. Cut off the stems of the three strawberries and slice each of them into 3 or 4 thin slices.
  4. On a dessert plate, place one graham cracker square.
  5. Spread 1 teaspoon of strawberry jam on the graham cracker.
  6. Arrange the slices of one strawberry on top of the jam and graham cracker.
  7. Spoon on a dollop of whipped cream and top with another cracker.
  8. Press down gently.
  9. Repeat steps 4 through 8. Do this two more times with the last step of using the remaining whipped cream for the top.
NOTE: these cannot be made ahead of time because the crackers will get soggy and the cream will get runny. They must be made to eat immediately.

Eat with pleasure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment