Pages

Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tap Into Unused Space!

When I'm cooking I really dislike having to shove aside all the lids to the tops of my
pots and pans. They are cumbersome, space wasting, and noisy.  It is so frustrating having to rearrange the lids every time I have to use a skillet or pot.

Living in an apartment, extra space is prime real estate. Creative space saving ideas are a must. While perusing a DIY website I saw a fancy holder inside a cabinet that attached to the inside of the door to hold lids! WOW! However, the lid holder was rather pricey and required screws to attach to a solid wood door. NUTS!

I live in an apartment; screws and nails are a big no-no! How could I do the same thing cheaply and not permanent?  Well, I had to give this some thought. I was hanging some curtains and the idea came to me, 'peel and stick hooks' !

I went to the huge national discount store and the name brand hooks are rather expensive, $6 for two hooks. Nope! Gotta think cheaper. I was off to the Dollar store. I picked up 12 hooks for $1. Yep, that's excellent.

I installed the hooks by measuring the lids width (really by holding the hooks and lid and placing them on the door). I attached the hooks and let them sit according to the instructions on the packaging. I smugly hung the lids and it was brilliant! Well, whoops, not quite perfect...minor glitch!

After a few hours of the hooks gave away from the weight of the lids and the lids promptly fell, with loud bangs, inside the cabinets. UGH! Okay, I used cheap dollar store hooks...should have known. Duh! So, I was off to the local craft store for a tube of epoxy. (It was still cheaper to purchase the $1 Store hooks and extra glue/epoxy than a package of the name brand peel and stick hooks.)

I reattached and reinforced the hooks with a nice thick layer of epoxy. (Aren't these permanent now?) I used some packing tape to hold them tightly in place and waited 24 hours before rehanging the lids. SUCCESS!!!! So far, so good! I still close the cabinet doors gently, but probably not necessary.

I'm really glad that this idea works, and I have a much easier and quieter cooking experience. The lids are out of the way and stored efficiently.  GOOD, INDEED!

No comments:

Post a Comment